Friday, February 13, 2009

"Temple Police"

He said the diocese was challenged by the ageing of its priests, most of whom would be eligible for retirement by 2014, leaving only six priests out of the full complement of 40.

The 65-year-old said the investigation had been going for two years, but a decision had not yet been made.

"The ultimate outcome is I'd be sacked and have to stand down,"
he said.

"Or they would ask me to resign or operate in another diocese ... at this stage, I don't know."

Bishop Morris, who has held the Toowoomba post for 16 years, said the church couldn't stifle debate and that's what the letter was promoting. "I will continue to fight for what I believe is the truth," he said.

"And I will continue to fight to be able to ask questions."

Bishop Morris said there was a group of very conservative Catholics dubbed the "temple police" who traveled around parishes dobbing in priests who didn't toe the line. "There are plenty of temple police around at the moment," he said.


"They're not a large majority - they believe in their conservative views and if they don't agree with something, they'll write to Rome."

Link (here) to the full story

No comments: